Friday, March 10, 2006

d is for DUDE, this alphabet thing is boring

Okay, change in plans. I'm not quite ready to roll out the alphabetized chronicles of my life in a way that is worthy of the concept or actually interesting enough to read so I'm pulling the plug on this project. Temporarily, at least. I feel too boxed in, too confined. I need to spread my wings and feel free enough to write about really meaningless crap like in the good old days. Heck, I'm feeling better already.

Alright, so meaningless crap. Here goes:

1. We got a puppy. Lucy. She's a lot of fun although I found her to be considerably MORE fun before she began shedding half her body weight in dog hair every day.

Lucy's favorite activity is to pick up assorted items on our walks to carry along in her mouth. Not to chew on or to eat, just to carry. For the most part she picks up sticks or pinecones which I deem acceptable but now and again she goes for something gross and I have to intervene. This morning she picked up what appeared to be a flat, brownish stick/leaf/dirt bundle that seemed harmless so I let her trot along with it in tow. Half a mile later, however, I discovered she was actually sucking on a dead rat that had been flattened by a car, stiffened by its state of rigor mortis and coated in dirt. Sometimes I think it's odd we call these creatures "domesticated."

2. San Diego is on the brink of a big winter storm which is to say that it might actually drop down to 50 degrees and rain for half an hour. I'm on the edge of my seat. Perhaps it will get cold enough that I'll need to knit myself a cozy sweater out of the collection of dog hair I'm harvesting. Bring it on, I'm prepared.

3. I joined a book club. The first meeting was a flop since no one had finished the book but in our defense it was a bit of a toughie and very hard to follow. So it's on to the next read and I remain optimistic.

4. I'm taking Jon on a surprise date tonight to a place called Jimmie Red Hots, alleged home of the world's best burgers and polish dogs although I've not yet been there to corroborate this claim. Tonight we test the theory and I'm really hoping my co-workers haven't hyped it up for nothing. Stay tuned for the full report and of course, a bunch more meaningless crap.

Posted by Poka Bean at 3:23 PM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Bearca posted at 9:24 AM  
    what up poka?? guess what. i have tagged you with a meme!
  2. Blogger Amy posted at 9:47 AM  
    OMG!!! Poka is back!! I didn't believe it, but I saw that bearca had tagged you and I though I just had to stop by and see, and oh my gosh, I'm glad I was sitting down.

    I will have to relink you, my dear favorite blogger. I just couldn't stand clicking each day and finding B is for babysitting!!

    Glad to have you back! What kind of a dog is Lucy (other than a Shedder?) And what books are you reading for your book club? And, I hope all is well in Poka Land!
  3. Blogger Emily posted at 2:48 PM  
    NNNNOOOOOOOOOO! You can't give up on the alphabet right before E. Now, not to be so self involved that I would presume the E would be for Emily... but common. That was just plain mean!

    In other news... I don't think I like Lucy quite as much knowing that she's had dirty, dead rigor rats in her mouth. Perhaps we can just air-high-five from across the room.
  4. Blogger Nicole Kelley posted at 1:26 PM  
    Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Will we get to see photos soon? My dog sheds like a banshee, too -- whatever that means. But at least I get an arm workout every other day when I push the vacuum around.

Post a Comment

« Home