Wednesday, November 17, 2004

why i prefer to remain unmotivated

Yesterday I stepped foot outside of reality and into the world of the motivational seminar. Our whole staff was sent to a special leadership training event. I think it was intended to be some sort of incentive or reward but as it turns out, I would've preferred to pull out all of my arm hair with my teeth and knit a scarf with it had I been given the choice.

I should preface the rest of this expose by saying it wasn't ALL bad...there were a few good speakers in the line up whose upstanding reputations I will protect by not mentioning their names. But the rest of this event was a mysterious experience.

Over the course of the day, I witnessed pyrotechnics, the perfomance of numerous "motivational" songs including but not limited to a "Proud to Be an American" medley performed by a blonde decked out in pleather pants (plastic-leather for those fortunate enough to have avoided the phenomenon thus far in life), a female emcee wearing a bright magenta suit and black sequined top, a salvation message/altar call sandwiched in between two get-rich-quick infomercials on how to make millions via a) the stock market and b) real estate, and a showering of thousands of American flag beach balls all around the arena during the dance competition portion of the afternoon (which, naturally, awarded the craziest dancer with a DisneyWorld vacation).

I still don't know what the theme of the day was...I'm beginning to think there wasn't one and maybe the whole thing was a set up. Maybe I was actually in an alternate reality created by a scientist who wanted to study human reactions to the incongruent, the disingenuous, and the bizarre. In fact, I think I would feel better knowing that were the case.

Seriously, I want my 8 hours back.

Posted by Poka Bean at 1:19 PM

1 Comments

  1. Blogger Nicole Kelley posted at 10:59 AM  
    Regrettably, I, too, have had the unfortunate experience of attending such a motivational seminar. And, like you, I was surprisingly not more, but less, motivated upon my return than I had been before the giant leap into bizarro world. My deepest apologies for not warning you ahead of time.
    At least it makes for interesting stories. (As if pleather pants weren't bad enough - a sequined top with a magenta suit?!?!?!?! Honestly, what were they thinking?)

Post a Comment

« Home