Friday, June 08, 2007

laura ingalls poka bean

Hi, I'm Poka Bean and I'm a shameful excuse for a blogger. I feel like I should re-introduce myself but blah, blah, blah. That would be so boring.

So instead I want to catch you up on what's been happening to me in the here and now. And when I say "happening to me" I truly mean it. There is an unstoppable force taking over my life and I am powerless against it. I did not invite it in, it has simply decided to claim me and consume me and sit heavy on my heart like a bowling ball.

People, I want to live on the prairie.

I want to move to the country and sew my own clothes and grow all of our food and make jam. I want to bake things from scratch, help my neighbors with barnraising and can tomatoes. I want to join a co-op, barter my homemade goods and listen to bluegrass music. I want to attend a little country church, make quilts, read books and never watch TV.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

I am serious when I say I cannot stop this. I haven't read or watched anything that has inspired these things in me, they are just suddenly there and I am their puppet. They are shouting "DANCE, POKA. DANCE!" and I am doing a jig to fiddle music.

If anyone has a cure for what is ailing me (or any good marmelade recipes!), please speak up. At this rate my next post could be a telegram sent from somewhere in central Wyoming.

Posted by Poka Bean at 9:51 AM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger Bearca posted at 11:01 AM  
    Um, I knew you were a home biscuit but this is getting ridiculous. I was with you until the term "barnraising." :)

    However, I will barter you some of my hand-beaded necklaces for some of your homemade jam!
  2. Blogger Amy posted at 11:48 AM  
    good to have ya back, girl!! Um, I hate to be the one to ask this, but are you pregnant? Sometimes these "nesting" sorts of feelings happen when, you're, oh say, expecting...

    no?

    Oh, well then, I don't have a good answer. But I long for a home in the country with a big wide porch and acres of land and dogs and cats and rabbits and oooohhh...can we be neighbors? I'll trade my strawberry applesauce for an apron!
  3. Blogger David posted at 12:03 PM  
    you are welcome to load up the covered wagon and journey north this weekend to spend some time gardening with your fave brother-in-law.
  4. Blogger Emily posted at 9:42 AM  
    Poka. This is serious.
    Take a deep breath. Insert Clueless into your DVD player. Watch. Repeat.

    And... I totally agree with Amy. Clearly your nesting instincts have taken a nasty turn towards the land of scurvy and vermin.

    For now I'm going to ignore your blaspheme against the television and chalk it up to a crazy hormone imbalance. But if this behavior persists, I assure you that I will be on your doorstep performing and excorcism, likety split.
  5. Blogger rycra posted at 6:03 PM  
    Perhaps you can fulfill your country craving by purchasing some new mugs at Starbucks. They have a cute quilt-like pattern on them. Very cozy and rustic. Sipping a frothy, caffeinated beverage from a country cup is the perfect baby step to country living.
  6. Blogger Krissie posted at 8:44 AM  
    Poka, so good to have you back! I can totally relate. I went through this phase in high school. Life just seemed so much better then. I'm mostly over it now though.

Post a Comment

« Home