Friday, January 28, 2005

the birthday chronicles: a six-year review

Emily and I have been best of friends for what feels like a million years but what really only amounts to the span of 6 birthdays each. Each of those birthdays has been particularly significant as we tend to do them big so since today marks the start of Emily's 27th year on Earth (HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NINNY MUGGINS!), I thought it fitting to spend a bit of time recounting and reflecting upon the last 6 birthdays we have shared together...

AGE 21
Emily's Birthday
The first birthday I was priveleged to truly share in Emily's life was her 21st, an all-out booze fest which began with dinner at the classy Acapulco restaurant in Santa Barbara and then continued with a bar hopping excursion down State Street led by my former boyfriend Jim who was bent on making it a memorable night for her (read: bent on getting her wicked drunk). As I was not yet of age and too pure and innocent and guilty conscious-driven to ever try to get a fake ID, I spent the evening peering through the windows from outside State Street's finest establishments trying to get a view of Emily at the bar as she chugged down every alcoholic concoction Jim could get in her hands...and chug she did. Her mantra remained "I don't really feel it yet" to which he continually responded, "GREAT! Then you need more." Needless to say, this birthday ended with much misery and vomit but makes for great stories for the grandkids.

Abby's Birthday
Ironically enough, my 21st birthday celebration also began at the infamous Acapulco in SB for Happy Hour margaritas but saw a very different conclusion. It was a Monday, the first day of classes my senior year of college and wouldn't you know it, I had a night class from 7-9pm. My plan was to go to Happy Hour with friends, go to class, and then meet back up with everyone after class for more birthday fun, but seeing that two days prior was my sister's wedding and the day before I moved my whole life from San Diego back up to school, I was completely exhausted. Once 9pm rolled around, I wanted nothing more than to go to bed. But my friends did continue the festivities without me and from what I hear, they had a lovely time.

Age 22
Emily's Birthday
Emily's 22nd was celebrated with a little surprise party I put together at Soho, a hip swanky little dinnerhouse/bar/live music hot spot in Santa Barbara which involved an ecclectic mix of friends. I remember this mix vividly as several of the friends in attendance pitched in with me to buy her a video camera which subsequently captured the whole evening on film. Certain other friends simply signed the card to appear as though they had pitched in to buy her this marvelous gift but in typical, expert mooching fashion, never actually gave me a dime...Andy, you know who you are and I am still bitter.

Abby's Birthday
My 22nd birthday was The Most Epic Birthday of All the Epic and Magical Birthdays of All Time. Emily surprised me (and I mean SURPRISED ME) with a limo she had rented for the day to take a small group of girls wine tasting in Santa Ynez. We had the Best. Time. Ever. It was a perfect, beautiful day and she had even managed to plan to do it while my sister was in town visiting so that she could come along. I'm also fairly certain there was a decanter of scotch in the limousine, but honestly that part gets a little fuzzy.

Age 23
Emily's Birthday
Okay, I know I said that all six of the birthdays we've shared together were grandiose and therefore very memorable, but for some reason neither of us can really recall what we did for her 23rd birthday. We're pretty sure this was the night that we splurged on the most amazing dinner of all time ...the Prix Fixe Wine Pairing Dinner Menu at AMEN, SING GLORY HALLELUJAH The Wine Cask. Kumbaya, my Lord. KUM-BAY-A. And to really top it off, we enjoyed this unprecedented meal in the pleasurable company of The Phil (aka "Coach" - Emily's Dad) and The Great Lauren Brock. Shabat shalom.

Abby's Birthday
My 23rd birthday was yet another great fruit of Emily's genius and generosity. She took me to San Francisco for a weekend where she treated me to my first day spa experience...a massage at the original Elizabeth Arden Red Door Day Spa. Cue the angelic singing and bright, blinding lights. We also enjoyed fine dining (oh, the cheese board!), wacky nightlife at some Indian joint in the Haight Ashbury District and a quick jaunt to Napa for a little wine tasting, which of course ended with a trip to Carl's Jr. because what good is wine tasting if you can't follow it up with a Western Bacon Cheeseburger???

Age 24
Emily's Birthday
Believe it or not, this birthday involved Paper Mache. For Emily's 24th, I constructed a large paper orange and filled it with 24 individual envelopes of things to do and see in Orange County and off we went. (Okay, this might not sound like a dream trip to most of you, but you have to understand that Emily has long obsessed over Orange County. No one knows why...we just go with it.) We stayed at the adorable La Casa del Camino hotel in Laguna Beach and trapsed all over town enjoying great shopping, great food, and a really boring movie.

Abby's Birthday
My 24th was all about pampering. (Of course, that's a stupid statement because which of these birthday has NOT been about pampering?) It started with a delicious dinner at The Cliff House and was followed by brunch at the Biltmore the next morning, pedicures at Walter Claudio, and facials at Skin Deep. I know. I have The Coolest Best Friend On The Planet. I believe I was also housesitting in Montecito over this birthday and that Emily brought me my favorite take out to eat by the pool...and maybe also in the pool while we floated on rafts. Sing praises. Amen.

Age 25
Emily's Birthday
Em's 25th began with a surprise lunch at Las Brisas in Laguna Beach attended by a gathering of girlfriends and was followed by a trip to Spa Gregorie's , a group outing to Happy Nails for pedicures, and then a night at the Improv to see Harland Williams, the man who has forced me to view fried calamari as "crispity, crunchity buttholes" forever after.

Abby's Birthday
My 25th was celebrated by an Elmo/Sesame Street-themed surprise party hosted at Starlet's house where we dined upon Frito Boats and then moved the party to Saddleback Lanes for an evening of my favorite activity EVER...bowling. (Even though I did love Sesame Street as a child, I should mention this is not the reasoning behind this choice of decor. It's what was on sale at Party City and considering how much money Emily had dropped on all of my previous birthdays mentioned here and how heavily the slightest bit of guilt weighs upon my conscious, I am very glad she bargain-shopped. The sale items did include a Pin-the-Tail-on-Elmo game, though, (me being Elmo, of course) and it was greatly enjoyed by all.)

Age 26
Emily's Birthday
Emily's 26th was celebrated at our place with a Roaring 20's theme party attended by a gang of friends. Boas and fedora hats were provided so that everyone could look the part without much effort and it made for great pictures. We ate a lot of food including homemade ice cream cake that I am craving as I type this. I love the person responsible for cookies 'n cream.

Abby's Birthday
My 26th happed to fall on my first day back at work after a 10-day vacation in Hawaii where Em and I were in Starlet's wedding so we did this one a bit mellow. We were too docile from being so well rested to go all out and really, too tan to function normally, oh misery. Em and Jon took me out for a yummy Thai food dinner and then joined me at my parents' house where my folks gave me the mighty Senseo and Em gave me one of my most favorite possessions of all time...Season 2 of Felicity.

And thus endeth the glamorous telling of the six birthdays we have shared so far. As you can imagine, we are broke from going hog wild but rich with the best memories of our lives...the kind of memories you're supposed to make in your 20s but that not everyone gets the kind of friends you ought to make them with. I am richly blessed...Emily is the dearest, truest, most loyal and amazing friend I have ever had and I know we will be a part of each other's birthdays ever after.

I love you, Em. Happy birthday...and HERE'S TO 50 MORE!!!

Posted by Poka Bean at 9:58 AM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Emily posted at 2:20 PM  
    Wait! What happens when I'm 77? :)

    Poka, you have TRULY outdone yourself. This is the best gift you could give me -- a walk down memory lane of all the fun we've had (not that I'm returning my pohaku hot stone massage).

    First of all, Jim is still on the in-need-of-redemption list for all the alcohol he pumped into me on blessed 21. Moreover, he should really apologize to Tyler (my then-time) boyfriend for me puking in his car. I also seem to remember pole dancing in a coffee shop and walking in on a rather large Latina in the restroom. I'm pretty sure she threatened me with bodily harm. Not a nice one, that woman.

    Secondly, why on earth was I ever even friends with Andy? That cheap SOB. (really, shouldn't it be SOAB?). Anyway -- the camera was SUPER fun and should be resurrected!

    Thirdly, you should be praised highly for the links provided in this blog. It's like an online trip down memory lane. Truly AWESOME! But not as awesome as the Wine Cask -- ahhh, how I miss the culinary wonders Santa Barbara had to offer. Please note that Noah Wiley also had his birthday there. (just not on the same night)

    Fourthly, your 23rd birthday was also epic. It was the first time that Abs and I were ever bought drinks from mysterious men -- Eric James, who claimed to have connections to get us free tickets to see Aida (which we never took it up on). Strange that we ventured to San Francisco, home of the gay man, and it wasn't until that moment that we got pick-up on properly.

    Fifthly, OC was rad!!! My obsession with Orange County was only enhanced by this AWESOME birthday surprise! Of course, we moved there a year later.

    Sixthly, your 24th -- while you did mention the favorite take out, you missed the part where I ditched half way through the day to pick up a bottle of patron silver and margarita mix for us to enjoy on rafts in the pool. Was ever there anything more perfect?

    Seventhly, I am STILL laughing about Harland Williams -- I can't believe that was 2 years ago -- he's actually at the improv right now (or last weekend). That was SUCH a fun birthday -- and I was so suprised when we arrived at Las Brisas -- I had no idea that all those people were ther for me -- I couldn't figure out why my sister was in town sitting at table with friends from Santa Barbara. You got me good muggins!

    Eighthly, we DID finally realize that money doesn't grow on trees -- I was just sure it did -- how else did everyone else in SB afford to live there? But the birthdays are still great because they're spent with friends.

    If any of you has any incling of doubt in your mind that Abs isn't the best birthday planner around, shame be upon you. She is the best best friend anyone ever, in the history of the world has ever had. As was evidenced this morning when she woke me up with a stirring rendition of "Happy Birthday to Em," followed by a french toast and turkey bacon breakfast -- all before I was presented with a pohaku hot stone massage gift certificate. Was ever there a girl more spoiled than I?

    If there is, she's bummed because Abigail is not HER BFF.

    Love you to the moon!
    (ps - sorry this is so long, but it's my birthday, I can do as I wish)
  2. Blogger Poka Bean posted at 2:48 PM  
    Dude...Alicia Keyes, not Aida. But you got his name right on...'tis no wonder how you remembered that one. :)
  3. Blogger Emily posted at 2:00 PM  
    No way -- it was totally that Elton John musical, Aida. :)

Post a Comment

« Home