Tuesday, December 07, 2004

the notorious KPV

I finally got my license plates in the mail for my new car and have to say I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I was really worried I would get a bad number-letter combination that would not only bug me for the rest of my life (read: the amount of time it will take for me to pay off the car), it would bug all of the poor, helpless motorists who will have to stare at it as they drive behind me as well.

California's standard issue plates come with three letters sandwiched in between four numbers. That three-letter combo stands out pretty well and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that there is definitely something inherently good about certain letter combinations and something unquestionably wrong about others. For example, something like UVF is clearly bad and SBZ is pretty cool. YUI is bad. AKJ is good. FHD, bad. RLA, good...and so on and so forth.

Then, of course, there are borderline combos like BRL or GHP in which the final good/bad verdict must be decided based upon the number combos that accompany them, but for the most part, I think the call can be made based on the letters alone. It's pretty cut and dry.

Well, the good news is that I got a marvelous letter combo: KPV. Really, it doesn't get much better than that. In light of my mom's recently issued DOM which seems awfully ominous to me (sorry, Mom), my roommate's NGS which I think might be some sort of racial slur, and my former VLB which might as well be code for some unknown female body part, I consider myself quite lucky.

And even though I didn't need good numbers to accompany a letter combo as good as KPV in order to really put my plates over the edge, I got some. Sorry I can't share them with you...even though I am getting dumber, I'm not dumb enough to publish my entire license plate number on the internet lest some psycho use it for evil and start stalking me or something. Not likely since my weekly readership totals on this site presently average approximately 2.5 harmless friends who have nothing better to do than to read this junk and who immediately disregard the pointless crap I've written about anyway, but you never can be too careful.

So I just wanted to report this mini-victory to...uh...you. My faithful 2.5 harmless friends who will actually read this. And who will hopefully not read it carefully enough to fully realize just how weird I really am. Oh, who am I kidding? You 2.5 already know.

Posted by Poka Bean at 10:42 AM

1 Comments

  1. Blogger Emily posted at 10:17 AM  
    Since I'm commenting first I thing I am staking my claim as one of the 2.5 people. But I'd definitely like to be one of the whole people -- I don't know who the .5 is, but I have no intention of being that person.

    I'd also like to take this moment to exclaim, "JUST WHEN I DIDN'T THINK YOU COULD BE ANY MORE WHACK..."

    Ninny Muggins, you have amazed even me. And, my license plate is by no means a racial slur -- it was just recognized by the DMV gods that my car has soul (and black leather interior) -- it's just a nod. That's all.

    But I would like to take issue with your good/bad letter combinations. I completely agree with your assessments of UVF and SBZ. But you lost me at FHD and RLA. And I do NOT think that BRL is borderline -- it sounds like the noise involuntarily made by one's body prior to puking. No gracias.

Post a Comment

« Home