Wednesday, March 16, 2005

word to my lauras

I have become addicted to talk radio. Conservative talk radio, specifically...much to my father and fiance’s delight.

I covet my morning and evening commute time as a chance to hang out with my Lauras. And no, you talk radio amateurs, I don’t mean Dr. Laura. Get with the times.

I’m talking about Laura Ingle on KFI, courtroom drama reporter extraordinaire, and Laura Ingraham on KRLA, the witty and intelligent morning show host/light of my life. I love my Lauras. I love them, I love them, I LOVE THEM.

I never thought there was such a thing as adoring a reporter until Laura Ingle entered my life, or rather, my air waves. All psychosis and morbid fascinations aside (of which I have much and many, respectively), I was absolutely RIVETED by her reports on the Scott Peterson trial and have scoured my AM radio dial for her genius everyday since I first heard one of them. I don’t know what kind of awards they give for great reporting but I’m telling you, she should get some. No. Correction. She should get ALL of them. Nobel, pulitzer, blue ribbon, Heisman trophy, grammy, whatever. ALL of them. I eat up every second of her simple, articulate delivery. She's so descriptive and powerful that she makes you forget you're listening to radio. She makes it visual and if she isn’t on in the morning to report the latest courtroom sagas, I am crushed. All other courtroom and news reports after her are simply white noise.

And Laura Ingraham. What more can I say than almighty heavens, glory be!? I have recently converted to listening to her show because it is smart and real and important and at a moment’s notice, brilliantly hilarious and light-hearted. She is insanely intelligent and quick-witted and can take you from serious to silly in mere seconds. And flawlessly. More women should be like Laura Ingraham. I know I want to be.

Did I mention that I love my Lauras? I love them. I love them. I LOVE THEM.

But let me say this. If ever you want to torture me, you have one of two choices. Either poke me in the eyeballs with hot skewers or make me listen to the lame-o, annoying, nasally-voiced news chick Terri Rae Elmer who plagues KFI's air waves on the hour, on the half, and when it breaks by concluding her news briefs with the mandatory line, “KFI is the TALK station with the most frequent TRAFFIC reports presented to you BY Lexus dealers” over and over and over again in her sing-songy, I-put-the-emPHAsis-on-the-wrong-syllAble kind of way and force me to sit helplessly with my hands tied behind my back so that I can’t scratch my ears off with my own fingernails as I would so desperately LOVE to in order to make it stop. Why, why, WHY do they let her do that repeatedly on air? It’s as though she can read the news just fine until she gets to that closing line and then suddenly she’s completely thrown for a loop as to how to speak properly. Normally. NOT ANNOYINGLY.

I despair, but nevertheless, I will continue my daily love affair with my Lauras. And this post is intended to encourage you all to do the same while at the same time warn you about Terri Rae and the peril of her Lexus-sponsorship line. I beg of you to see it coming and turn your dial before it strikes!

You will thank me for the new friends and the sound advise.

Posted by Poka Bean at 5:11 PM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Emily posted at 9:16 AM  
    you ARE crazy, but I love you.

    MOreover, I think I'd like to give the Lauras a shot. What are the numbers of these radio stations?
  2. Blogger Poka Bean posted at 9:51 AM  
    the bad news for you is that Laura Ingle doesn't have her own show...she just does live reports on two other shows I sometimes listen to and her reports may not coincide with your car time. evenings, maybe, but she's usually on after 8am in the mornings on KFI 640AM during the Bill Handle show.

    Laura Ingraham, on the other hand, has her own morning show on KRLA 870AM so you could catch a lot of it on your way to work. she's a tad nasally to listen to at first, but perservere and you will be hooked.
  3. Blogger Twinkle Twinkle Little Star posted at 3:13 AM  
    It's the Peabody Award for journalists, I believe. In fact, I think you deserve one for that excellent report on The Pros and Cons of Conservative Morning Talk Radio. If I were ever up that early in the morning I might have something else to add, but alas...I will just have to let you hog all the Laura love. Good thing my name isn't Laura or I'm not sure there'd be any love left for me after your commute.

Post a Comment

« Home