Monday, February 21, 2005

observations at target on my lunch break

Observation #1:
Two young girls, probably 9 or 10 years old, were standing on the greeting card aisle oohing and ahing over the prettiest designs on the shelf. In desperation, one of them exclaimed, "Why do grandmas get all the pretty ones?"

Ah, the ignorance of youth! I wonder: At what age do you finally begin to understand that the pastel flowery cards with cheesy rhyming poetry in scripty fonts are, in fact, the worst picks on the rack? And at what age are you finally old enough to once again revert to thinking they are fantastic, special, desirable treasures to receive from your loved ones? This cycle of life confounds me.

Observation #2:
Two adolescents overheard discussing the ichthus...

Boy: I don't get it. What is Christian about a fish? Why is it a fish?
Girl: (Deadly serious) Because Jesus, uh...you know. Jesus ate fish.

Breeds confidence, doesn't it?

Observation #3:
A 20-something soon-to-be-aunt stands bewildered on the stationery aisle muttering to herself over which baby shower invitations to pick. "Are these too unisex? Does the yellow rubber ducky motif scream 'SEX OF CHILD STILL UNKOWN'? It's a BOY, people. A really important BOY! Is it so difficult to manufacture cute BOYish invitations? Ugh. NONE of these are cute enough for my nephew. NONE OF THEM, I TELL YOU!!!"

Okay, well, that last one was me but I swear I overheard the rest.

Posted by Poka Bean at 1:58 PM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Bearca posted at 1:18 PM  
    How did I know that one was actually you? :)

    (please note that I am COMMENTING NOW)
  2. Blogger Emily posted at 1:44 PM  
    Ok, seriously WHY the fish?

    ps - you're relatively insane, but I do love you so.

Post a Comment

« Home