Wednesday, June 08, 2005

i propose a contest

I cannot bear the burden of this annoyance on my own any longer. Can someone, anyone, PLEASE crack the code of my neighbor's indecipherable personalized license plate for me?

What in the name of all things sacred is ISONOMY supposed to mean?

I am at my witt's end. I have walked by it twice a day for the last two and a half years and wracked my brain over what it could possibly mean but still, I've got NOTHING. Just a million different ways to pronounce those seven stupid letters but not a single guess as to what they're supposed to say.

And I have no idea who the car belongs to so I can't even ask, although at this point maybe that's a good thing. I'm not so sure saying "Hi, nice to meet you. WHAT THE HECK DOES YOUR STUPID LICENSE PLATE MEAN?" makes for the most amicable first impression with the neighbors.

So if anyone out there can help me, I beg of you. PLEASE. Speak up. And to sweeten the pot (as though outsmarting my two-and-a-half-year quest for knowledge isn't prize enough), the first person to crack the code will get a quarter.*

*Maybe. My mom used to promise that the first person in our family to find the bay leaf in the spaghetti sauce would get a quarter but I have to warn you, she rarely repaid in full and it's true what they say about the apple not falling far from the tree. And that makes total sense because neither trees nor apples deal in American currency, guys, so they don't exactly carry around quarters. Duh! I mean, what did you expect??

Posted by Poka Bean at 4:30 PM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Emily posted at 8:25 AM  
    First of all -- hats off to Carolyn. Abs and I have been baffled for years, and yet never once did it cross my mind to check out the old dictionary.

    \I*son"o*my\, n. Equal law or right; equal distribution of rights and privileges; similarity.

    This definition makes SO much sense now -- the neighbor also has a "vote libertarian" license plate frame.

    Before I bid you adieu, I must get one more frustration out there about my politically saavy neighbor's car -- the license plate on the front is from California, and the one on the back is from Arizona -- both bearing the same annoying personalized message.

    This is all just more fuel for my "personalized license plates should be banned from the surface of the earth" fire.
  2. Blogger Poka Bean posted at 9:16 AM  
    Dude. I need to invest in a new dictionary. I decided to try looking it the word yesterday before posting this so I did but it wasn't in there! Way to go, Lopez.

    But since I've never seen what Dak actually looks like, I am unable to fulfill your request at this time and will send a quarter to you tomorrow via Emily.
  3. Blogger Bearca posted at 1:43 PM  
    I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I was NEVER awarded the elusive quarter, despite locating the bay leaf repeatedly.

Post a Comment

« Home